Now accepting applications for our April 1-9, 2017 trip to Guatemala. Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled.
This is your chance to join us in visiting our missioners and their local partners at their ministries in Guatemala. Participants will encounter and reflect on the economic and social realities faced by Guatemalans through participation in discussions with FMS missioners and local Guatemalans, group learning, prayer, reflection, and cultural excursions.
Like all of our Short-Term Mission and Global Awareness Trips, this experience includes daily prayer and reflection and pre-trip preparations such as webinars.
This trip promises to be a transformational experience that will inspire participants to live out the Gospel in their home communities and foster the Franciscan values of peace, justice, reconciliation, and care for creation.
FMS approach to short-term trips Read more
The Franciscan Mission Service approach and philosophy is based on the popular education model and the pastoral theological reflection of “see, reflect, and act.” This model asks us to observe, reflect, and ask questions as we witness challenging social injustices and new realities, and then to consider how this new information will impact our future behavior. The components of the trip will include: discussions with missioners and local Guatemalans, group learning, direct service, prayer, reflection and debriefing of experiences. Participants will be invited to think critically about their experiences abroad in order to better appreciate God’s creation and to better discern their responsibility as Christians in building the kingdom of God on earth.
Trip location Read more
Sample trip activities Read more
- Help teach English to students by participating in group activities and games
- Participate in a baking class with students and hear about the self-empowerment skills they are learning
- Help plan a cultural night with the children to share in an exchange of traditions and customs
- Spend a morning in the campus garden with the students as they learn about native plants
- Visit a nearby village and learn from community members about the different social realities they face
- Attend a Sunday Mass and participate in the Valley of the Angels’ tradition of live stations of the cross
- Visit the historic town of Antigua and tour various Franciscan churches and cultural sites
Accommodations Read more
Cost breakdown Read more
Participant qualifications Read more
- Minimum age of 14 years old (trip participants who are minors must be accompanied by a guardian)
- Eagerness to learn about another country, be immersed in a new culture and interact with Guatemalans
- Desire to gain a greater awareness of different social justice issues occurring in Guatemala
- Respect for Catholic practices and openness to learning about Franciscan values
- Ability to handle unexpected schedule changes with patience, flexibility and a positive attitude
Impact Read more
See our Facebook album for photos from one of our past short-term trips to Bolivia.
Read about Stephen’s short-term trip experience on our blog.
For more our approach and our trips’ components, please visit our Short-Term Mission and Global Awareness Trips page. To request more information, please fill out this form.