At the invitation of the Franciscan friars of Santa Barbara Province, Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is expanding its mission sites to include a new site along the southwest border of the United States, ministering in both the United States and Mexico. This new mission site will be in the neighboring border towns of Agua Prieta and Douglas.
Below are potential ministries in which missioners will engage:
- Helping at a community center, particularly with children’s remedial classes
- Assisting at a drug and alcohol rehab center
- Providing support at a shelter for migrant families
- Helping at a cooperative where asylum seekers are trained in a craft
- Visiting and ministering in detention centers and prisons
Opportunity for Returned Missioners
FMS is inviting returned missioners to help pioneer this new ministry site. In collaboration with FMS staff and friars, these selected returned missioners will create a solid foundation for the new site before FMS invites newly commissioned missioners to join the border site in January 2021. The timeframe for returned missioners’ border ministry is anticipated to be at least 6 months starting in late July 2020 with flexibility for longer commitments.
More details about this opportunity for returned FMS missioners is included in the application here.
Applications are due May 15, 2020. You must be a returned missioner to apply.
If you are an applicant interested in serving with FMS for the first time, please go to this page to learn how you can apply.