Volunteer Position: House Manager
Reports to: Associate Director
The House Manager lives in Casa San Salvador, the building that houses Franciscan Mission Service offices, missioners while they are in training, and other guests and residents throughout the year. We are looking for an individual or married couple to serve as the house manager(s) and live in community with our residents and guests. Desired start date is summer 2020 with possible flexibility for the right candidate. Applications accepted through April 15.
Overview of FMS:
FMS helps Catholics prepare and serve two- to six-year international, one-year domestic and one- to two-week short-term mission opportunities in Africa, Latin America, North America, and the Caribbean. FMS also reaches thousands of people through its online ministry including social media and blogs. In all of our work, we prepare Catholic servant leaders in the spirits of Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi. Over the past 30 years, FMS has commissioned more than 250 long-term lay missioners who have touched countless lives around the world in 19 countries and Washington, DC. Missioners areas of service include accompaniment of women, youth, and children in need; agriculture and ecological awareness; education; prison ministry; and homelessness ministry, among others. FMS’ comprehensive formation and ongoing training and support equip missioners with the essential tools to succeed in ministry and impact their home North American communities after their participation in FMS’ programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities (amounting to approximately 10-20 hours per week) include the following:
- Preparing guest rooms and welcoming guests when they arrive (includes laundering sheets/towels).
- Weekly cleaning of the entire building (offices, shared spaces, and bedrooms that need attention)
- Regular maintenance of garbage/recycling/compost
- Regular cleaning of the kitchen/dining area
- Coordination of community living (when there are groups or extended guests, the House manager leads a weekly or every other week meeting about shared chores, events in the house and community living, etc.). The House Manager should be comfortable holding others accountable to completing their chores.
- Design and lead a weekly formation session with 4-8 DC Service Corps volunteers, engaging the volunteers in themes of spirituality, justice, Catholic social teaching, intentional community, and professional development.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Commitment to and willingness to be involved in the mission and ideals of Franciscan Mission Service
- Ability to hold residents accountable to house responsibilities in a caring manner
- FMS understands that the applicant will likely have a full-time day job. However, the applicant must have a flexible evening/weekend schedule to accommodate guest arrivals.
- Possess a deep appreciation for the Catholic faith and social justice teachings of the Church.
- Demonstrated personal and communal spiritual life. Comfortable leading a faith-based team and communal prayer.
- Experience living in an intentional community and facilitating community meetings helpful
FMS provides the house manager(s) with a private room and bathroom, as well as access to communal areas including kitchen, living room, and chapel.
Casa San Salvador is located in the Brookland neighborhood of Northeast Washington, DC – a short walk to Catholic University and the Metro’s red line.
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Elizabeth Hughes, FMS Executive Director by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line of “House Manager.”